Tuesday, March 20, 2012

SHEERANAM (SWEET MILK PONGAL)


This is very similar to Akkaravadisal, another sweet pongal recipe. Though I am not much of a sweet lover, there are certain sweets to which I will never say no. This is one such. Very easy to make and tasty to eat recipe.

Ingredients
serves 2-3

Rice - 1/2 cup
Milk - 5 cups (3 low fat milk + 2 half and half - my proportion)
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Cashew nuts - 1 tsp
Cardamom crushed - 1/2 tsp
Raisins - 1 tsp
Almonds(cut) - 1 tsp
Ghee - 2.5 tsp


How to make it

- Wash rice and add 5 cups of milk and pressure cook for 10 mins. (I did like this to save time but you can also do the same in open flame and it might take some time to cook completely).

- Transfer to another container. Once the rice is cooked, reduce flame and add sugar little by little and mix well till it is dissolved.

- Remove from fire and add fried cashewnuts, raisins, almonds. Heat rest of the ghee, pour on the top and serve.

2 comments:

  1. awful piece of information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend vimal, mumbai,i have read atleast 13 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a million once again, Regards, chakkara pongal recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..I'm from srirangam. I had sheeranam many time in temple. I'm very fond of this dish. Will try the recipe soon. Btw... rice should be cooked in milk instead of water?

    ReplyDelete