Saturday, June 25, 2011

TOMATO RICE


My whole idea of this blog is to present a lot of simple recipes that would be of a great help during just-started-to-cook phase or if one wants something different as I remember how I used to sit and take notes referring to various sites. So came the idea of compiling all into one blog which I experimented, relished and tasted by my family and good friends.

I try this once in a while when I get bored of the usual stuff. Certain dishes like this helped me a lot when I initially started to cook. This is a no fail, simple and easy recipe. Here comes the to-do list.

Ingredients
serves 2

Rice - 1.5 cups
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped (optional)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 2 (I add one more as I like it spicy)
Red chilli powder - a pinch (optional)
Peanuts - 1/2 cup
Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Curry leaves - a few
Peas - a handful
Salt - to taste
Sambhar / Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
(or dry-roast and grind - coriander seeds(1.5 tsp) + Channa dal (2 tsp) + Red chillies (2) + Fenugreek seeds(1/2 tsp)
Oil - 2 tbsp

How to make it

Heat the oil and temper mustard seeds and urad dal. Add the chana dal, green chillies, peanuts and chopped onions and saute for about 3 mins.

Add the turmeric, hing and the curry leaves and fry

Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the raw smell leaves the mixture. Add salt, peas and curry powder or grounded masala.Make sure that the mixture is a thick paste and not watery (don't add water. If you fidn it to be watery, increase the flame and keep stirring so that the excess water evaporates).

Once done, mix in the cooked rice, stir well until blended, adjust taste and serve hot with raita of choice. ( My favorite raita is onion-cucumber combo)

No comments:

Post a Comment